Thursday 18 October 2012

First impressions - exterior paint shades

Delicious hues of chalky grey blue green, reminiscent of those gorgeous shutters in France, combine well with soft slate greys and gentle putties. A restful, clean palette for a warm welcome to any home whether it's of mellow stone, whitewashed render or smart red brick. Here are a few of my favourite paint shades along with some suggested plants for tubs and borders to welcome guests to your door.


Above image: The Daylesford Organic Farm Shop by blogger 213darling
Above images: 1.The Beckford Arms Country Pub Wiltshire England discovered through the blog Maitai's Picture Book 2.Cotswold chippings decorative gravel for paths, patios and terraces from Ruscrete Landscaping 3.Exterior paint in "Grey stone" by The Little Greene Paint Company 4.Salvia officinalis 'Purpurascens'(Purple Sage) from Crocus 5.& 6."Oval Room Blue" No:82 exterior paint by Farrow & Ball
Above image: Border Oak - bespoke oak framed houses 
Above image: Daylesford Organic Farm in Gloucestershire England
Above image: Daylesford Organic Farm and shop in Gloucestershire England taken by Gerrad Malcom via Flickr
Above images: 1.Conservatory by interior designer Sims Hilditch 2.Exterior paint in shade "Mid Lead Colour" by the Little Greene Paint Company 3.Miscanthus sinensis 'Malepartus' from Crocus 4.Bistro table and chairs in "Shutter Blue" from Garden Trading 5.Exterior paint in shade "Celestial Blue" by The Little Greene Paint Company 6.Iris 'Dutch Chocolate' from Crocus
Above image: Border Oak - bespoke oak framed houses 
Above image: Border Oak - bespoke oak framed houses and garden buildings (so pretty)!
Above image: Daylesford Organic Farm in Gloucestershire England
Above images:1.& 6.Details from Yiangou architects 2.Exterior paint in shade "Tempest" No:32 by Vale Interiors 3.Detail from the garden of Lady Karen Watson 4.Exterior paint in shade "Ermine" No:29 by Vale Interiors and conservatories 5.Ageratina altissima ‘Chocolate’from Crocus
Above image: photograph The Paper Mulberry our restoration project and our home until November 2012 - the front door is painted in "Card Room Green" no:79 with the porch in "Stony Ground" no:211 the windows are in shade "Matchstick" no:2013 all by Farrow and Ball. The urns are planted with lavender


For more information on anything shown in the above images please click on the names under each photograph to go through to their web sites. I create my mood boards/colour palettes with a computer programme called Photoshop by Adobe which is available for both Apple Mac and PC computers.

As always, if I have featured your photograph and you would rather I didn't, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will remove it with my sincerest apologies. 

With warmest wishes
 


37 comments:

DomCurieuse said...

So so nice !!!

Marjonel M said...

Prachtige kleur palet,mooie foto's.

Groetjes, Marjonel

Home and Lifestyle said...

It all looks wonderful!!!

Hugs, Ingrid

Jade said...

Oh, how i loooooooooooove, love, love this post - it´s so full of beauty and great ideas!!!!!!! Thank you sooooo much for this wonderful inspiration and have a lovely autumn time!!!

Hugs Jade

bec said...

it's all perfect! that colour is so at home in all those pics.
Bec x

Paula said...

Gorgeous inspiration - your home looks absolutely stunning! It's the first time that I've seen it from the outside, and the colours are sublime.

My front door is currently painted black, but I am wanting it to be a mellow green, similar to the one's you've shown. My problem is that I have two large black urns, flanking either side of the front door - do I paint those to match the door, the window and porch frames or leave them black - arghhhhh - decisions, decisions!
Paula xxx

Lynne said...

Your story is so beautiful.
We are planning to paint our home next Summer. I shall book mark this post for inspiration. Thank you, Glenda.
~Lynne
w/L.

De Zandhut said...

Beautiful pics!!!
Greets from Holland,
Dominique

Jennifer said...

Just so beautiful -my favourite colour scheme of all time.

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Another gorgeous post, Glenda!

Out tiny cottage is painted in a grey toned robin's egg blue with light grey trim, so I am completely in love with all of the images you've shared!

Happy day to you & yours,
Zuzu

therelishedroost said...

Your house is enchanting and one of my favorite Farrow and Ball colors!!! That organic farm I could move into tomorrow!

Greet Lefèvre said...

Glenda,
I love all the color combinations you made here!!You have an impeccable eye for colors and shades of colors!
That Daylesford farm is oh soooo beautiful!!
Thank you for your inspirational post!!
It is a always a joy to open your posts!
xx
Greet

The Snowdrop Project said...

Hi Glenda,
I love all of the different elements and use of colours(more often than not Farrow and Ball), in this post.
The exterior shot of your home being the prettiest of them all!
Hope you have a lovely week,
Lizx

helen tilston said...

Hello Glenda

You have captured the perfect colours for these buildings. It seems that Gloucestershire sky demands this subtlety.

As always your posts are full of harmony

Helenx

Monica said...

This is wonderful...I just received my little girl furniture from my parents and love the gray blue green color. I think repainting it will be beautiful just like your photos.

Susan T said...

Oh Glenda I know I have said this before, but I want to live in a world that you design. I have admired Daylesford farm shop before. It is your own home though that is the cherry on the cake, what a beautiful house, inside and out.

Kristie said...

Such pretty colors and it's so nice to see them used on exteriors. You have a beautiful exterior on your home. :)

1 said...

Beautiful color selections and boards. I always look forward to your posts for inspiration!

Greetings from France
Simone

Ivy Clad said...

Glenda, I have been through this post half a dozen times today, at least. It is just the inspiration that I need. I'm busy deciding which shade to use on my shutters and door. When I am finished painting them, I'll send you a picture.

I am so happy to get to see the front of your home. It is perfect in every way.

Thanks again for the inspiration!
Keri

manon 21 said...

Une belle leçon de couleur,de beaux endroits en plus.

Amicalement,

manon

Unknown said...

Hello Glenda Steel!
Thank you for always as great inspirational photography and of course beautiful!
Always so beautiful colors!
May I ask, where do you find your color palettes!
Is there a special program you purchased or how are you doing?
Hope you understand my English.

Hugs from
Elisabeth in Sweden
and I wish a nice weekend!

The Paper Mulberry - Glenda Steel said...

Thank you so, so much for such lovely comments and generous compliments! I compile the mood boards/colour palettes in a programme called "Photoshop" by Adobe, it's brilliant for layering pictures/colours and text. Warmest wishes - Glenda xxx

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!
I have Adobe, now I just have to learn to deal with the program!
In a while we'll see how it goes for me!
Thanks and a great weekend
//Elisabeth

The Paper Mulberry - Glenda Steel said...

You're very welcome Elisabeth! I will try and put together a mood board tutorial for a future post. Warmest wishes - Glenda

The Paper Mulberry - Glenda Steel said...

You're very welcome Elisabeth! I will try and put together a mood board tutorial for a future post. Warmest wishes - Glenda

merry said...

Hi glenda,
Another lovely post! My two favourite things - muted greeny greys and daylesford! I'm off there in a few weeks for my birthday catch up with my best pal so will take lots of pics. Always love your blog, with love, Merry x

Donna Reyne' said...

So beautiful...as always!
I love these exterior color stories!
So classic and timeless!
I an so drawn to this look..stone, wood and some sort of faded green/blue!
Thank you for putting together such inspiring mood boards!
hugs from here
Donna

Anette Willemine said...

Such a wonderful blog this is! I noticed that you have started to follow my blog, and how nice, because then I found you and your blog also.
Beautiful color scheme you have put together.

Looking forward to follow your site. :o)

<3
Anette Willemine
Norway

Justin leon said...

Great appreciation to the work done on the Exterior Painting and the work done by the author of this blog.

Evi said...

beautiful colors and beautiful places. Wish I could see this all in person.

THE BLACK BARN said...

I have those beautiful chalky grey blue green color in my house
On the TV Cabinet and coffee table.
I love those colors
Have a nice day,
Miranda

IRIS LEONHARDT _ // SKULPTUR said...

The shade of the Exterior paint "Mid Lead Colour" by the Little Greene Paint is so beautiful. I imagine this color in a garden... on a fence. Just great your blog.
Thank you for sharing. Greetings from Germany. rheingruen.

Unknown said...

My sister is planning to hire painting contractors in Perth to paint the exterior of her house and patio. This color combination is a cool idea and I like it too. My mother likes the shade of these colors that is why our beach house has a chalky shade color paint.

Unknown said...

Such beautiful work and photos you've shared. I love the photograph of the Paper Mulberry front door with the vintage green color. It's so gorgeous and elegant. I'm a painter in Boston, and we love using styles like this when we paint doors and shutters in historic Beacon Hill. Keep up the beautiful work!

Alys said...

Love love your blog! Avid follower and I just added you to my blogs blog role. Stop by sometime.
www.ParisCoutureAntiques.blogspot.com

Emma said...

May I ask Glenda, if you would recommend Stony ground for windows, as I see you used it for you beautiful porch in your previous house. My home is also stone and in Lincolnshire, slightly more orange possibly in tone, but finding the right colour has been really quite hard, love all the greys like elephants breath etc... But they just don't seem to work on the colour of stone we have, even tried a brown gray, not sure if you have visited Belton house ( the gray they use on the windows) Any suggestions would be great... At present, I have so many different coloured windows as I test... Old white, shaded white, charlston grey, lime white, ekksss the list just goes on. Doors to hopefully go hardwick white...possibly mixed with a touch of pigeon if to grey.....any suggestions would be so appreciated. x
P.s I have quietly followed your blog for so long... Always Beautiful posts full of inspiration

The Paper Mulberry - Glenda Steel said...

Thank you so much Emma, so kind of you! Actually the shade I would suggest would be Portland Stone (either Deep 156 or Dark 157) from The Little Greene Paint Company. I found that against our Ancaster stone the Stony Ground by F & B has a slight green overtone. Hope this helps? Warmest wishes - Glenda